Strategies and Resources for Selecting a Major

Visit Career Services
Take advantage of workshops, assessments, career counseling, and employment information in the Career Resource Room.
Visit the Academic Advising Center
Academic advising for majors or course selection is available for all undeclared students.
Talk to Faculty Advisers
Faculty advisers can provide you with information about their majors: specific course requirements, options within the major, and networking leads. For a list of advisers, visit the Major Adviser Directory.
Join a Learning Community
Each residence hall offers learning communities that combine academic areas of interest with courses and related activities. Toltec House in Cuicacalli Suites and Maya Hall is designed for undeclared students.
Take classes and get experience
Determine what areas of study interest you and take classes in those departments. You will then have a taste for whether or not you want to take any more classes in that field. Career Services can help you find part- and full-time employment opportunities, internships, and volunteer activities.
Talk with career experts
Career Services can show you how to find experts in any career field you are considering. Talking with these career counselors might help you decide on a course of study.

Resources for Undeclared Students

Career Services

  • Attend the "How to Select a Major" Workshop.
  • A Career Counselor will help you: interpret the career assessments; conduct research to determine appropriate majors; and connect with experts in the field(s) in which you are most interested.
  • Visit the Resource Room and take advantage of the abundance of information on career opportunities for various majors.

Office of Undeclared Students

For more information, visit the Office of Undeclared Students website.

Online Resources

Check out Handshake. Also, read Guidelines for Choosing a Major.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who should I see at Career Services?
Ask for a career counselor who can guide you through the process of selecting a major.
How do I declare or change a major?
Complete a "Declaration of Major/Minor" form, available in the Academic Advising Center or the Office of the Registrar. Take the form to the undergraduate adviser for the major for advising.
When should I declare a major?
Declare your major as soon as you can make a well-informed decision. Most students should declare the major no later than the third semester of enrollment. This timing will allow you to complete the requirements for all but a few majors in four years. All undergraduate students must declare a major before achieving 70 baccalaureate units.
May I take classes in my major before I declare it?
Sometimes. You will find a list of courses required for each major in the SDSU General Catalog. Courses listed in Preparation for the Major are a great place to start. Some majors are impacted and have pre-major requirements that must be satisfied before you can begin taking upper-division major courses.
Is there a risk to waiting to declare my major?
Yes. The curriculum changes from year to year. Major requirements change to reflect new research and employment conditions. You must meet the major requirements in effect at the time you officially declare the major. By officially declaring your major, you establish your degree requirements.
Do all students have their major declared?
About a third of entering college students are undeclared, and those who are decided frequently change their major at some point. More than half of all college students change majors at least once.
Do I need to pursue a specific undergraduate major in order to gain admission to my desired postgraduate professional program?
Some graduate programs have specific majors and prerequisites, but many are open to students from a wide variety of majors and backgrounds. Check with the specific program you have in mind.