Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirements
Four averages, each 2.0 or higher, are required for graduation:
- Cumulative GPA - An average based on all courses attempted at SDSU and transferable courses at other universities, liberal arts colleges, and community colleges. Your cumulative GPA can be found on your transcript or degree evaluation.
- SDSU GPA - An average based on all courses attempted at SDSU. Your SDSU GPA can be found on your transcript or degree evaluation. (Courses numbered 80-99 are not counted toward the GPA.)
- Major GPA - An average based on all upper division courses attempted in the major department or required by the major. Upper division courses required for the major but taught outside the major department are included in this average. Your Major GPA can be found on your degree evaluation.
- Minor GPA - An average based on all units applicable to a minor if a minor is being completed for the degree. Your Minor GPA can be found on your degree evaluation.
Refer to your Degree Evaluation for information on your GPAs.
Probation & Disqualification
Students must maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average to remain in good academic standing. You will be placed on academic probation if your overall (cumulative) GPA or SDSU campus GPA falls below a 2.0 (a "C" average).
Calculate your GPA
A GPA is calculated by dividing the number of grade points accumulated by the total number of units attempted. Units attempted can be found on your transcript.
- Units Attempted - The number of transferable units (courses completed at a regionally accredited college or university designated as appropriate baccalaureate level credit) you have taken (successfully or unsuccessfully) thus far.
- Grade Points Accumulated - A number of points is given to each grade. Grade Points Accumulated refers to the total number of points earned for all grades earned thus far.
Grades Needed to Achieve Your Desired GPA
The GPA Calculator is designed to help you achieve your academic goals. The Calculator will tell you how many units you will need to take and what grade(s) you need to earn to achieve your desired GPA. To use the calculator, enter:
- The number of units you have attempted
- The number of grade points you have earned
- Your desired GPA
|Grade Point Conversion Chart|
|A = 4.0||C + = 2.3||D - = 0.7|
|A - = 3.7||C = 2.0||F = 0|
|B + = 3.3||C - = 1.7||WU = 0|
|B = 3.0||D + = 1.3||I = 0|
|B - = 2.7||D = 1.0||IC = 0|