Course Repeat Petition
CSU and University policy prohibit undergraduate students from repeating a course for a second time and repeating more than 28 units at SDSU. Students that do not successfully complete a course with a C grade or better after two attempts will not be allowed to register for a third attempt in the same course, and students who have repeated 28 units of deficient grades at SDSU are not allowed to register for additional repeat attempts. Grades earned of C or better are not repeatable. Requests for special consideration of these policies will be reviewed only by petition and under the following circumstances:
- You have a serious and compelling reason that warrants an exception accompanied by a written statement and third-party documentation to support your reason
- You have obtained academic advising from an adviser in the Academic Advising Center (SSW 1551)
- You have obtained academic advising from your respective major/minor department adviser. If the course is required for your major preparation or for your major, please see your major adviser. If the course is required for your minor, please see your minor adviser. Written confirmation on department letterhead is required*
*Written confirmation required must be in the form of a recently dated letter on department stationary, which includes the following information:
- Student name, Red ID, and repeated class information
- Statement of support and reasons for support
- Original signature of authorized adviser
Once all requirements listed above have been completed, you may fill out and submit the form below. You must provide the supporting documentation in person to the Office of Advising and Evaluations or you may scan and email the supporting documentation to SDSU_Advising@sdsu.edu. Failure to submit the supporting documentation will result in automatic denial.
In order to be eligible for approval, you must be able to register, e.g. basic tuition and fees paid, have no registration holds. Time conflicts between classes are not permitted.
Be advised that financial aid may not cover the additional course attempt. Please see the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
Request for special consideration of repeating a course for the second time for summer 2018, session 2, must be submitted by July 11, 2018.
Request for special consideration of repeating a course for the second time for fall 2018 must be submitted between May 1, 2018 - August 30,2018.
Request for special consideration of repeating a course for the second time for spring 2019 must be submitted between November 19, 2018 - January 28,2019.
If your request is approved and you meet the criteria listed above, you will be automatically added to the class (if there are open seats) or added to the wait list on or before the 6th day of classes for that term. You will be notified via email regarding the status of your request. You must also regularly check your SDSU WebPortal "My Classes" and/or "My Wait List."
If your request is denied or you were unable to get into the class via the wait list, ensure you plan accordingly.